Child student

CHILD STUDENT VISA | Amicis Legal Services Ltd

The Child Student Visa is designed for children between the ages of 4 and 17 who wish to study at an independent school in the UK under the sponsorship of a Home Office approved student sponsor.

Please note that if you are 18 or older and intend to pursue further or higher education in the UK, you should apply for a Student Visa instead. However, if you are 16 or 17 years old and plan to study a course at or above Level 3 of the Regulated Qualifications Framework, you have the option to apply either as a Child Student at an independent school or as a Student.

Requirements for a Child Student Visa

To qualify for a Child Student Visa, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Age Requirement: You must be between 4 and 17 years old.
  • Course Offer: You must have received an unconditional offer to study an approved course at an independent school with a valid student sponsor license.
  • Care Arrangements: Suitable arrangements must be in place for your care and reception in the UK.
  • Financial Support: You must have sufficient funds to cover your course fees and living expenses without relying on public funds.
  • Parental Consent: You need to have the consent of your parent(s) or legal guardian.
  • Intention to Leave: You must demonstrate that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your study and will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits.
  • No General Grounds for Refusal: You should not fall under the general grounds for visa refusal.
  • Electronic Travel Authorisation: If required, you must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation.

Course Requirements for a Child Student Visa

A Child Student Visa allows you to study one of the following courses:

  • A course taught according to the National Curriculum
  • A course taught in line with the Recognised Qualification Framework (RQF) that is not a foundation course for higher education
  • A course considered academically equivalent by Ofsted (England), the Education and Training Inspectorate (Northern Ireland), Education Scotland (Scotland), or Estyn (Wales)
  • A course following prevailing Independent School education inspection standards

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

  • After receiving an offer to study at an approved independent school, you will be provided with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number. The CAS must be issued by a valid student sponsor independent school, and you should apply for your Child Student Visa within 6 months of receiving it.

Financial Requirement for a Child Student Visa

  • You must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your course fees and living expenses. The amount required will depend on your specific living arrangements. The money must be held for at least 28 consecutive days, ending not more than 31 days before your visa application date.

Special Categories

  • Certain applicants are treated as having satisfied the financial requirement automatically, including those with valid leave in the UK for at least 12 months prior to the application date and applicants from specified countries or territories subject to the ‘differential evidence requirement.’

Genuine Student Rule

  • If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must satisfy the genuine student requirement. The Home Office will assess various factors to determine your authenticity as a student.

How Amicis Legal Services Ltd Can Assist

  • Our experienced immigration barristers can provide guidance and assistance in securing Child Student Visas for short-term study in the UK. Whether you need advice on the visa application process, help with preparing your application, or representation to challenge a refusal decision, our team is dedicated to offering clear and reliable immigration advice in a professional and approachable manner.

Contact us today to discuss your needs and how we can assist you.


  • 03316300380